The Chattering Wind

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Self-Centeredness aka Egoism

Everyone is self-centred, including myself.

www.dictionary.com:
Self-centeredness: Concern for your own interests and welfare.

All problems starts from self-centeredness. When we get angry why things don't happen in the way we want, self-centeredness occurs.

For example, why do people commit suicide? I can obviously say that this is a form of self-centeredness. Why?

Why would they commit suicide in the first place? If it is not for themselves, then for what? If they were not thinking of themselves, would they ever do such a thing?

The reason is when they start to think about matters that they cannot accept, they dwell into the matter, do not want to let it go and reached a state of depression.

A depressed person may say "I felt very depressed and I couldnt take it anymore. So I tried to commit suicide."

Look how many 'I's are there in the following example, isn't it obvious.

You see, when people get too attached and obsessed in anything, for example, wealth, once they lose it or cannot attain it, they will feel suffering. The magnitude of suffering will be more than those that are not attached to them.

What does the following example got to do with self-centeredness?

Well, if they weren't, they wouldn't be emphasising on my wealth and my this and my that.

Look around in your daily life, stay in a neutral point of view and you will know what I mean.

Learning to let go of the idea of self may be more life-enriching you can ever imagine. You will realise that you can make better decisions and look at things in an open way. You will see what you never see and feel in life before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home